Performance in Mind can travel to amateur endurance clubs or team bases to run workshops to help members improve their race and training performances. The workshops can be tailored to the requirements of the members of the team or club and usually run for an hour.
Each athlete should be able to leave the workshop with a number of strategies and ideas they can put into practice immediately to develop their sporting performance. A blog by Amy Barr (AKA The Running Scientist) describes a workshop she attended at Fulham Running Club. A further blog by Hannah Troop at London Fields Triathlon Club describes what she learnt.
Workshops have been run for the following clubs and organisations:
- Everyone Active – Athlete Ambassador Day
- Chichester Triathlon Club Juniors: Goal Setting.
- Chichester Triathlon Club Seniors: Self-talk.
- Chiswick Healthy and Strong evening.
- London Fields Triathlon Club: Goal setting.
- David Lloyd Brooklands Triathlon Training Day: Feeling confident on race day.
- The Tri Experts stage at the Triathlon Show
- Run and Become, London: Training your mind to run your best Marathon.
- Swim for Tri: Mental approaches to successful Open Water Swimming.
- Fulham Reach Boat Club: Sports Psychology techniques to coach effectively.
- South London Harriers Triathlon Club: Building race day confidence.
- Barnes Bridge Ladies Rowing Club: Goal Setting Workshop.
- Fulham Running Club: Using Sports Psychology to perform at your best.
- Trent Park Running Club: Using Sports Psychology to perform at your best.
- London Dynamo Cycling Club: Using Sports Psychology to perform at your best.
- Ranelagh Harriers Running Club: Using Sports Psychology to perform at your best.
- Mornington Chasers Running Club: Developing a positive mindset.
A selection of feedback
“There has been already lots of positive messages and I really enjoyed the session. The toolkit with the goal setting, what if scenarios, booster and the mantras is very practical and helpful. We will experiment with the mental training toolkit and incorporate that in the training plan through weekly reminders. Everyone enjoyed the session and the format was great to get everyone involved.” Urban & Ahlem, Serpentine Running Club
“Thanks from all of us at Chichester Westgate Triathlon Club. Your workshops were perfectly pitched and enjoyed by everyone – young and old alike! Thank you for your time, expertise and empathy.”
“With our tri club full of ambition and enthusiasm for the season ahead, Dr. Josie Perry stepped in to give us a very insightful and useful session on goal setting. Josie’s talk couldn’t have come at a better time. As the new year begins our athletes are eager to knuckle down to training and often target lofty goals. Often, however, not enough thought goes into why we want to achieve those goals and if they are appropriate. It’s so easy just to sign up for what everyone else is doing. What Josie really helped with was breaking down the process for understanding our own ambitions and then make sure we could frame those goals in the most constructive way. As a club coach, she provided me with invaluable tools to support club members as they prepare for their athletic journeys. I had a both experienced Ironman club members and newbies alike come up to me in the following days to talk about re-framing their season’s goals. And the common goal they all wanted to add? To race… and to have fun! Thank you Dr. Perry for your wise words.” London Fields Triathlon Club.
“Thank you very much for your workshop on Monday – it was well prepared and very professionally presented. It was so nice to see our rowers respond so positively and think about their goals actively.” Jo Broadhurst, Barnes Bridge Ladies Rowing Club
“Thanks for your workshop on Tuesday evening. It was really interesting and the mixture of practical and Q&A worked really, really well! I particularly enjoyed your explanation of goal setting and how to set outcome, performance and process goals and how to revise them if needed!” Cindy Croucher-Wright, Ranelagh Harriers
“Thank you to @Josephineperry for a most informative talk on psychology in Sport. Fulham Running Club will be all the stronger for it we now have simple techniques that will reduce our PB’s across the board.” Fulham Running Club
“I would really like to thank you for what you did for us last night. It was extremely useful and met very well the hopes and needs of the group that was there. I had some very positive feedback last night and some further messages this morning. It went down very well. Personally I got a great deal from the session and although I can’t say I learnt anything new it put all sorts of disparate thoughts into a much more structured format and gave them much more emphasis. I think this makes them so much more effective when I put them into practice. We really appreciate your time and enthusiasm.” Chas, Trent Park Running Club