Last week I attended the Annual Conference of the Association of Applied Sports Psychology in Indianapolis, USA. Not only was it a surprisingly cool city but I learnt some great stuff. I have a habit of jotting down quotes I love, inspiring thoughts or definitions I know I need to remember when I hear them and so below are 20 of my favourites from the week.
1. I am not a shrink – I’m a stretch
2. Burnout is feeling depleted, over extended, cynical, detached, diminished and devalued.
3. If you have one hour to solve a problem then use 55 minutes to understand the problem and 5 minutes to solve it.
4. Bad decisions make great stories. (Lindsay Thornton, USOC)
5. At the Olympics everything is a performance issue.
6. They’ve got to know you care before they care what you know.
7. Addiction is a complex situation it is cunning, baffling and powerful. (Lindsay Thornton, USOC)
8. Great teachers teach people, not sessions
9. When athletes are ready to share their story they will share (Andrea Faul)
10. Culture is the number 1 metric for success (Greg Dale)
11. Say yes to everything (CC Clark)
12. Go in with a simple plan and tonnes of examples – not a complex plan and no examples
13. Feedback should never be given in a shit sandwich – it should be given as good – better – how.
14. Sleep is a performance enhancement tool. After sleep you wake up a smarter, stronger version of yourself (Lindsay Thornton)
15. It is normal to take 20 minutes to fall asleep. Falling asleep immediately is not a good sign – it shows you are incredibly fatigued. (Lindsay Thornton)
16. High achievers go out and seek extra challenges – whether on not they have already had to overcome challenges (David Fletcher)
17. Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass but about learning to dance in the rain.Never impose limits on your thinking. Just deal with everything 10 feet at a time. It is all about the end goal. Focus intensely on each small step. (Cindy Abbott)
18. Surround yourself with people who push you to be the best you can be. (Matt Schultzman)
19. I have better satisfaction because of all the things I failed at. You need to have failures in your life to help push you. (Matt Schultzman)
20. Suffering = pain x resistance (Chris Germer).